- Posted by Mike Sundvik
- On March 1, 2017
- Blogs, Content Strategy, TItles
The purpose of any blog is to invite readers in and get them thinking about your brand. The challenge is that your blog needs to put its best foot forward to attract new readers.
Blog posts with poorly crafted titles fail to capture the imagination of readers, and allow them to easily scroll past without stopping. Here are a few of our favorite tips for creating exciting blog titles that actually make people want to read more:
- Create Immediate Value: The process of content creation is really one of giving your customers something they want to know in the hopes that they will move forward with a specific action. In order to get them through the first step, you must tell them why they need your information right now. Common examples are how they could be saving time or money, what they might miss out on, or that one thing that the experts know that they don’t. You have a carrot at the end of the stick; you just have to put it in front of their face.
- Use Your Keywords: Keywords help people find you. They also help Google rank you. When people search for a keyword they are more likely to click on blogs that use those same words in the title because they tend to be the most relevant. This is especially true for long tail keywords. If you’ve already done your homework, this is an easy one.
- Know What It Looks Like: We can’t control every aspect of how people are introduced to our blogs. Social media previews, emails and other applications in your content strategy can change the way viewers see your blog titles. If you have a particularly long title, expect users on mobile phones to only see the first few words on their screen. Again, if you did a good job of creating immediate value, those first few words should be enough.
- Be Creative: If you know you’re writing a blog post about a specific keyword, try to craft three different titles for that keyword first. Make sure all three are less than 70 characters long. Consult with your associates to determine which one is most engaging. Practice writing blog titles this way for a while until you get the hang of it, and don’t just settle for the first title that pops into your head.
- Who Did What? We can’t help ourselves. We want to know about celebrities and entrepreneurs and people outside our sphere. One way to create engaging titles is to phrase them in a way that people want to know who did it, and how. This creates more of a story than an instructional experience, which helps customers relate to the subject.
V Digital Services
For more help with successful blogging, consider seeking the experienced and skilled help of a premier digital marketing agency like V Digital Services. Our team is experienced with crafting compelling titles that grab the attention of your readers and get better engagement… along with the excellent content that goes with those titles.