- Posted by V Digital Services
- On March 16, 2016
Instagram let the world know this morning that they will be reconfiguring their Photo Feed in the next few months. Instagram says that they are going to be switching from their current chronological news feed to a news feed based on what “we believe you will care about the most.” Yep, this Photo Feed will be based on an algorithm. Does this remind you of anything? It reminds us of Facebook circa 2009 when they changed from a Chronological News Feed to a more Algorithmic News Feed.
So what will this mean when the changes do roll out?
For your personal Instagram accounts:
- If you like or comment on a certain account’s post, that account will be more likely to show up more often and higher in your Photo Feed
- The Instagram accounts that you tend to scroll past without liking or commenting, will probably be filtered out of your Photo Feed. This is very similar to the way Facebook displays timelines
For your business or company Instagram accounts:
- If you are receiving regular engagement from your fans (consistently over 20 likes per photo) you just might start showing up in their feeds more and more!
- If you are getting low engagement on the photos you share through your company or business IG account (less than 20 likes/photo), chances are good that your business will start appearing less and less in user feeds. Less visibility = less likes.
- If there were ever a time to start taking high quality, visually stimulating photos that represent your business or establishment, now is that time!
- For business profiles that receive low engagement on Instagram, this new Instagram update could influence more businesses to seek out Instagram advertising. Instagram’s advertising platform is comparable to Facebook’s. In our experience with advertising on Instagram, images with a strong call-to-action are great for driving traffic and increasing brand awareness.
Need help managing your Instagram account? Have questions? Get in touch.